All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
Mexican Hot Chocolate
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in "Better Homes and Gardens" Magazine! Wow!
A delicious blend of steaming milk and Mexican chocolate, this hot beverage warms both the soul and the senses with subtle undertones of cinnamon, and coffee and orange liqueurs. Top this hot cocoa with fresh whipped cream infused with vanilla, chocolate shavings and orange zest... it is irresistible. Enjoy!
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
A Fresh Orange for Zesting
- Combine 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate cut up, 6 TB. brown sugar, 5 cups milk, a dash of salt, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg in a crock pot or a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk until chocolate and sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in 1/2 cup coffee liqueur and 1/4 cup orange liqueur.
- Do not boil.
- Whip two pints of heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold in 2 TB. confectioners sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
To serve, ladle hot chocolate into a mug and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Sprinkle on some shaved semi-sweet chocolate and orange zest.
Print this recipe