All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in "Innkeepers' Best Low-Fat Breakfasts" Cookbook and in "Best of the Best from New Mexico" Cookbook!
As a busy innkeeper, I love this flavorful dish's make-ahead preparation. Guests love this Southwest-style dish with sour cream and fresh salsa.
Non-stick cooking spray
1/2 pound pork or turkey sausage
1 large onion diced
1 to 3 teaspoons hot pepper flakes
1 cup milk
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 large eggs
4 slices bread; cut into 1/2" cubes
- Brown sausage and onions together. Add the hot pepper flakes. One teaspoon for mild, three for hot and spicy.
- Lightly spray an 8 X 11-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Line the baking dish with the bread cubes. Sprinkle the sausage/onion mixture over the bread.
- Mix the eggs, milk, and salsa together. Pour over the bread cubes. Top with the cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- At brunch or breakfast time, put casserole in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. Take off the foil and heat for ten more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and serve with extra salsa, hot or mild, and sour cream.
Print this recipe