All recipes by Jules Cahalane/Head Chef and Author
Inn on the Rio, Taos, New Mexico
Jam Filled Bran Muffins
This recipe developed by Jules at Inn on the Rio was featured in "Inn on the Rio's Favorite Recipes" Cookbook and "Innkeepers' Best Muffins" Cookbook!
This make-ahead bran muffin mix can be kept refrigerated for up to a month. Use the mix as a base for a variety of different muffins.
Non-stick cooking spray
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup canola oil or other high quality vegetable oil
1 quart buttermilk
1 15-ounce box commercial bran flakes cereal
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups granulated sugar
5 cups flour
5 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
The jam of your choice
Grated apples & cinnamon, raisins & nuts,
dried cranberries or other dried fruits
- Mix all the liquid ingredients together in a mixer.
- Add the box of bran flakes cereal to the liquid mixture.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients in the mixer.
- Store mixture in a tightly sealed plastic container.
To bake jam-filled muffins:
- pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill muffin cup 3/4 full with mixture.
- Spoon 1 tsp. jam in center of muffin mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Print this recipe